Thursday, September 18, 2008

Weekly Listening - Bedroom Window

I am at by bedroom window – a now considered a deluxe feature in many parts of this city.

A light swish is unmistakable. It is the sound of trees blowing in the wind. I am so fortunate to be able to enjoy this sound in New York City. The swish varies in volume above a deeper, constant and more distant swishing sound: fast-moving traffic on fourth avenue.

Over both of these sounds, In the distance, a roar begins and grows in intensity. Jet aircraft flying north, presumably on approach to La Guardia Airport pass overhead on a regular basis.

A mechanical exhalation and inhalation– whirring decreases, then increases as an MTA bus arrives and then departs.

And nearby a bang! My neighbor and landlord moves his barbecue out below.

Somewhere out there someone is moving something, not quite the construction that I hear sometimes, but I do hear a metallic tap.

And only occasionally do I hear the sound of human voices, such as a child talking in the street.

The roar of the road with the occasional burst of a horn, and the swish of trees are the most constant sounds here. It's peaceful for the city, almost to the point that I can forget that I'm still a part of it.

No comments: